- Many changes happen externally and internally in the body of pregnant woman. Shortly after conceiving, breasts begin to grow until it reaches the size of one cup or two, several months later.
- The size will continue to increase all through out her pregnancy. The unpleasant sensation accompanying the growth of the breasts is itchiness all around the area.
- The swollen breasts feel sore, tingling and extremely sensitive to touch.
- Most women claim that the sensation is not unlike the sensation of their breasts before their monthly period.
- Tenderness of the breast is an early announcement of impeding motherhood.
Causes of Nipple Itchiness in Early Pregnancy
o Hormonal changes during this stage increase the flow of blood and alteration in the breast tissues. This is to prepare the body for child birth, when the breasts will have to work triple time to feed the baby.
o These hormonal changes are also the reasons why nipples can be quite itchy during early pregnancy.
o Also, because the skin and tissues on the breasts and nipples are changing and stretching, there is a high possibility that it can easily get irritated. This can cause itching that might also be accompanied by blistering or pain.
o Still, there are other causes of itchy nipples that should not be disregarded, of course. Some of these are:
- Skin disorders
- Skin infections
- Dryness of the skin around the nipples
- Side effects of certain medications
- Allergic reaction to medications or clothing
- Breast cancer
Home Remedies For Itchy Nipples During Early Pregnancy
- The discomfort of itchy breasts among pregnant women is enough reason for her to find a remedy. Women naturally seek for effective remedy to overcome the discomfort of itchiness.
- To reduce the itch, she should keep her breast from growing excessively which will exacerbate the condition.
- Woman should bathe in lukewarm water using mild soap and pat her body softly with towel to dry.
- She should consult her professional health consultant if she can have an oatmeal bath.
- Like the oatmeal bath, applying coconut oil all over the body can give instant relief from itchiness.
- Although others don’t realize its importance, a pregnant woman’s way of dressing might be the reason why parts of her body are itchy. Wearing loose comfortable attire during pregnancy is the right thing to do.
Pregnant women can reduce the itching problem, by dressing in the right manner. Clothes made of cotton are ideal while synthetic materials must be avoided.
- Pregnancy Discomforts